Sunday 19 January 2014

Week 3 - Breakfast - Mexican eggs

The challenge this week was to bake something for breakfast. I decided that my choices so far have been fairly standard, so it was time to spice things up. Hola, Mexican eggs!



I adapted a Gordon Ramsay recipe (this one) to make half the amount and to leave out some of the spice. I swapped the chilli peppers for a sweet red one and left out the chilli flakes. Because who really wants chilli for breakfast?


Chop up the onion, pepper and garlic...



Then sauté them in olive oil for about five minutes until they look done. Add the cumin seeds and continue to fry until "aromatic". All frying food smells good to me so I just guessed on this one. 


Next add chopped tomatoes (note the mildly interesting upside down label) and the black beans and leave them to simmer for a few minutes. 


While my glamourous assistant was keeping an eye on the frying pan, I was busy greasing a baking dish with olive oil and then lining it with overlapping tortilla. I think my tortilla were too big, because one would have done, but the recipe definitely called for three. 


Looking good, smells even better.


Tip the whole lot into the tortilla lined dish. Then the recipe said make wells in the mixture and tip a whole egg into each. Easier said than done. The egg white had a mind of its own and spread all over the place. As usual I simply ploughed on regardless and sprinkled some cheese on top before putting it in a preheated 180 degree oven. 


15 minutes later, voila (or however you say that in Spanish)! I sprinkled some dried coriander on before serving. Very tasty, but probably a lot more effort than I would usually put into breakfast. 

Next week - Australia Day...



No comments:

Post a Comment